Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
D15b7 sohc turbo
Omg eg2 Offline

D15b7 sohc turbo
So im looking for a turbo kit but ive been more on the all motor side with my other car for a while and thinking about joining the darkside and going boost and wanted to start with my single. What do i need and how much is it gonna cost and its gonna be my daily so i would really appreciate the help.
02-22-2010 10:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JosA Offline
Posting Freak

Re: D15b7 sohc turbo
Whats up man! Glad you decided to go the boosted route Wink

Here is what you'll need:

-Turbo (internal or external wastegate. All prefference)
-Wastegate (if your turbo doesnt have an internal wastegate)
-Turbo Manifold
-Turbo downpipe
-Intercooler
-Hot/Cold charge pipes (aka intercooler pipes)
-Blow off valve (technically if you are boosting no more than 6psi you don't need one. But why not? We all love the *vroom* *pshhhh* *vrooom*)
-Tapped Oil Pan (so that the turbo oil drains back into the oil pan)
-Oil lines (to supply the turbo with lubricant)
-Bigger CC injectors (not NEEDED, but highly recommended)

Last but not least
-TUNE

This is the most important part of turboing any car.
There are several tuning devices out there for a Honda.

The cheapest routes are:
-Chipped p28 on CROME
-Apexi VAFC

More expensive routes are:
-AEM Stand Alone
-Hondata
-Neptune
------------------------
For starters on your b7, you could do a mini-me (aka vtec head swap) and boost the performance a bit while you collect parts for your new turbo kit.

--Jose
----
1995 Supercharged delSol SI (SOLD)
1991 Civic Hatchback DX Hoover v.1(SOLD)
1993 Turbocharged Civic Hatchback SI Hoover v.2(SOLD)
2005 Saaburu 92x Aero (CURRENT)
1993 Civic delSol SI (UNDER-CONSTRUCTION)
02-22-2010 10:35 PM
Omg eg2 Offline

yea i have a z6 head lying around somewhere i might slap that on there.
but its just a daily so i dont want too much. do you kno by any chance how much its gonna cost and like what kind of turbo is good that isnt gonna crap out on me later on.
02-22-2010 10:51 PM
JosA Offline
Posting Freak

Price can vary depending on quality or name brand parts you buy.

For instance, if you go on a cheaper route you can get like a t25 turbo from a 1g eclipse, get a CRX HF manifold and get the adapter plate (you can find it online) so that the turbo bolts onto the HF manifold.
Get a custom downpipe made (around $300) and get a cheap ebay intercooler kit (I've seen em for like $150). Then buy a knock off BOV (like $50) and you are pretty much set on the major parts.

Or you can spend $2-3k on a pre-fabricated kit. (like go-autoworks, or Spoolin' Performance)

Or if you want in between you can buy a kit from ebay.
A lot of people run these kits. Everything will work, but will it work forever? Probably not. Nothing lasts forever, but it will work.
You can always change the manifold and turbo they come with too later down the road.

--Jose
----
1995 Supercharged delSol SI (SOLD)
1991 Civic Hatchback DX Hoover v.1(SOLD)
1993 Turbocharged Civic Hatchback SI Hoover v.2(SOLD)
2005 Saaburu 92x Aero (CURRENT)
1993 Civic delSol SI (UNDER-CONSTRUCTION)
02-22-2010 11:04 PM
Omg eg2 Offline

JosA-NoSol Wrote:Price can vary depending on quality or name brand parts you buy.

For instance, if you go on a cheaper route you can get like a t25 turbo from a 1g eclipse, get a CRX HF manifold and get the adapter plate (you can find it online) so that the turbo bolts onto the HF manifold.
Get a custom downpipe made (around $300) and get a cheap ebay intercooler kit (I've seen em for like $150). Then buy a knock off BOV (like $50) and you are pretty much set on the major parts.

Or you can spend $2-3k on a pre-fabricated kit. (like go-autoworks, or Spoolin' Performance)

Or if you want in between you can buy a kit from ebay.
A lot of people run these kits. Everything will work, but will it work forever? Probably not. Nothing lasts forever, but it will work.
You can always change the manifold and turbo they come with too later down the road.

02-22-2010 11:07 PM
1updelsol Offline
Josb

$ depends on how much time u spend on craigslist! lol

- 1updelsol -

1989 240sx coupe (silvia) - Sold
1991 240sx hatch - Sold
1994 Del Sol S - Sold ♡
1995 Integra Ls - Sold
2001 Civic Lx 4dr. - Sold
1993 Del Sol S - Current!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: 2cdd0405-48e8-4f29-969b-e39018b916ea.jpg]
02-22-2010 11:58 PM
Jaredkaragen Offline
Tsc tuner

The last one I helped my friend with only cost $125... We bought a turbo from pick n pull, brazed up an old cracked ssac manifold, used a $3 copper oil line kit, PVC piping, 2 couplers+ clamps from kragen, and a cheaply made brazed oil drain...

It all depends on what you have to work with as far as cost...

But if you have a budget of 1000-1200+, then your looking at putting nicer setup on your ride...

Here's the basics:
turbo+downpipe+wastegate+manifold
charge piping
bov
intercooler

*fuel management*. This is the key point where you make a choice between cheap, and the right way.

-JaredKaragen
02-23-2010 02:13 AM
shawnblack Offline

i got a semi complete kit for sale email me <!-- e --><a href="mailto:tedsexington@gmail.com">tedsexington@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->
04-11-2010 10:48 AM
armandjones82 Offline

JosA Wrote:Whats up man! Glad you decided to go the boosted route Wink

Here is what you'll need:

-Turbo (internal or external wastegate. All prefference)
-Wastegate (if your turbo doesnt have an internal wastegate)
-Turbo Manifold
-Turbo downpipe
-Intercooler
-Hot/Cold charge pipes (aka intercooler pipes)
-Blow off valve (technically if you are boosting no more than 6psi you don't need one. But why not? We all love the *vroom* *pshhhh* *vrooom*)
-Tapped Oil Pan (so that the turbo oil drains back into the oil pan)
-Oil lines (to supply the turbo with lubricant)
-Bigger CC injectors (not NEEDED, but highly recommended)

Last but not least
-TUNE

This is the most important part of turboing any car.
There are several tuning devices out there for a Honda.

The cheapest routes are:
-Chipped p28 on CROME
-Apexi VAFC

More expensive routes are:
-AEM Stand Alone
-Hondata
-Neptune
------------------------
For starters on your b7, you could do a mini-me (aka vtec head swap) and boost the performance a bit while you collect parts for your new turbo kit.

I think you have discussed it very well. Together with the parts that are needed, I'm sure that things would be good and better after this one. Thanks for this one!
12-01-2010 07:18 PM
alston3ptswish Offline
Die Hard Soler

The above posts pretty much sum'd it up for what you need. I'll give you the rundown on my set up(not in yet), but it took me 2 years of smart shopping and paid off waiting, when you'll see how much i only spent.

-t25 Turbo off 1st gen eclipse(25 bucks)
off a friend who is into dsm like we are with our del sols. I went the route of a t25 because its PERFECT!! for a sohc on stock internals. and 2nd, because if the turbo ever goes out on me, I wont be spending a couple hundred bucks for a new one. Turbo also came with Dump tube and down pipe. ONly thing i have to do is cut the down pipe and take it to a local weld shop to finish it the whole way back, but you can run off only adown pipe if you want(gonna be loud obviously) another good thing bout the t25, its internally waste gated so that'll cut down costs

-Dsm 450cc injectors w/ resistor box(40 bucks)
off the same friend i got the t25.

-Walbro 255 fuel pump (95 bucks)
Dont even buy this used, or run your setup with out one lol

-Ebay FPR-fuel pressure regulator- (35 bucks)
I probably wont need to use this, but just in case, i have it.

-Oil pan that i tapped myself (20 bucks)
I wouldnt recommend tapping yours while its on the car. have an extra one you can take your time with , do it right, and leak test it. that way you know no metal shavings are making it thru your oil.

-Intercooler+pipings+Greddy bov (100 bucks)
I got extremely LUCKY on this one. not only was it cheap, but the intercooler and piping was previously on a turbod' sol so i wont have to go through the hassle of fitting that up, and most of the piping is welded, so less couplers i have to use. and the BOV is a legit Greddy type S which is valued at $150 i think? so i'll prob sell that and get a cheap-o bov and have some extra cash to buy more turbo parts.

-p28 ecu socketed (125 bucks)
It was done by a shop and they put a quick release socket in for easy removal of the chip.

-Oil lines(FREE)
a friend has some spare ones he's gonna give me. Idk if im gonna buy an oil filter sandwhich plate to tap off of or just use the oil sending unit

-A/C /Condensor already removed and ready for the intercooler and turbo to fit no problems. you SHOULD be able to keep your power steering with this setup. If you have a "s" model, even better yet.

-last but not least MANIFOLD! I had a t3/t4 manifold but being the t25 is a td05 flange it wont fit. so i went on ebay and bought the adapter to make this fit. This is when i did my first trial fitment, and realised that with this manifold adapter it brings the turbo out too far and down too far that theres no possible way to get the downpipe on. So after some searching online for a d-series Td05 Turbo mani, i found that XS power makes one : / not the best company lol but it was literally the ONLY company i found that makes it. its a ram horn style so it should give me plenty of room for the downpipe, and better flow for the return oil line, and comes with a lifetime warranty on cracks its like only (100.00) so figure that into my total costs.

-Tuning ($$?$?) IF i was smart i'd be buying a stand alone ecu and having my car dyno tuned, and its honestly what i SHOULD do, but being i already have a ECU socketed, and just gonna send away for a pre-tuned chip specifically for my setup which will cost about (50 bucks) i wouldnt suggest having a friend make one. Send the info of your setup to a company that has been making pretuned chips for long time. They're gonna know exactly what to do for ya. alot of amature people who did it once or twice will tell ya they know how to do it and blah blah blah. Dont risk your motor on that.

-so theres my setup, i hope it helps ya out. The one guy mentioned using the crx HF mani with adapter plate, that'll work too if you can get one easily. Good luck. PM me if ya have any questions.

1updelsol Wrote:$ depends on how much time u spend on craigslist! lol
VERY TRUE
07-21-2011 04:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alston3ptswish Offline
Die Hard Soler

also forgot to mention ...
-ARP head studs wouldnt be a bad idea to add to the setup
- also do timing belt/water pump, and new oil pan gasket when you put the new one on.

All said and done i plan to have spent no more then 600, which is pennies compared to a name brand setup, which probably wont include your Injectors, fuel pump. for 600 its a well put together setup that should last.
07-21-2011 04:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MRED Offline

There are several different setups that you can choose to put together. I'd start with purchasin maximum boost by corky bell to have a better idea on how turbo setups work. On the b7, keep in mind that they do not have very strong rods and wont be able to handle the same amount of power as something like a d16z6 can(about 200whp). I would probably stay around 150-160whp on a b7 to stay safe.

The t25's are cheap and make great starter turbos. The spool fast and early but typically loose steam in the higher rpms as opposed to something like a t3 or even a t3/t4 hybrid.

My setup will consist of:
- D16z6
- garret t3 60 trim(internally gated)
- ebay intercooler($100)
- HF manifold(i have 2, one was $50 cuzz it was painted, and the other was $5 on craigslist)
- bmc adapter plate($40ish?)
- rebuilt dsm 450cc injectors($130ish)
- walbro fuel pump
- greddy BOV(dsm bov's are nice and cheap as well @ about $40)
- stealthmode oil line kit($100?)
- intercooler piping(havnt decided where i wanna buy from yet)
- custom downpipe(around $400 i believe)
- and of course tune like everyone has already mentioned

It can get pricey depending on how many parts you want brand new, what can of deals you can find, and how much of the work you can do yourself.

I ♥ my Honda
'94 Del Sol Si
'89 Civic 4dr LX

Team Sol International Member #1654
International Sol of the Month April 2007
07-21-2011 09:21 PM
alston3ptswish Offline
Die Hard Soler

MRED Wrote:There are several different setups that you can choose to put together. I'd start with purchasin maximum boost by corky bell to have a better idea on how turbo setups work. On the b7, keep in mind that they do not have very strong rods and wont be able to handle the same amount of power as something like a d16z6 can(about 200whp). I would probably stay around 150-160whp on a b7 to stay safe.

The t25's are cheap and make great starter turbos. The spool fast and early but typically loose steam in the higher rpms as opposed to something like a t3 or even a t3/t4 hybrid.

My setup will consist of:
- D16z6
- garret t3 60 trim(internally gated)
- ebay intercooler($100)
- HF manifold(i have 2, one was $50 cuzz it was painted, and the other was $5 on craigslist)
- bmc adapter plate($40ish?)
- rebuilt dsm 450cc injectors($130ish)
- walbro fuel pump
- greddy BOV(dsm bov's are nice and cheap as well @ about $40)
- stealthmode oil line kit($100?)
- intercooler piping(havnt decided where i wanna buy from yet)
- custom downpipe(around $400 i believe)
- and of course tune like everyone has already mentioned

It can get pricey depending on how many parts you want brand new, what can of deals you can find, and how much of the work you can do yourself.
The b7 internals are only rated for 160ish??? wow, learn something new everyday. i thought all single cams maxed out at around 220hp. That being the case, he should probably look into a z6 block for cheap??. I already know im gonna be somewhat disappointed with around 200hp in my car when its turbod. running 160hp is gonna feel slugish. Or if its cheaper and probably more worth it he should just get forged rods and pistons, and bearings, and he could make an easy 250 hp if not some more with a good tune
07-22-2011 05:19 AM
alston3ptswish Offline
Die Hard Soler

MRED, would ya be willing to sell me that other HF for cheap???
also, $400!?!?! for a custom downpipe? : / that blows. Here in PA theres an Amish (yes the horse and buggy people) weld shop lol, and they'll do a a complete full stainless steel exhaust for about 90 bucks. There SO packed with work from cheap prices, that you have to call a month before just to get in on scheduled day. I was planning on using the DSM downpipe, cut it and have them do 2 1/2 the whole way back.
07-22-2011 05:26 AM
MRED Offline

Dont quote me on the b7's only being good for 160whp. That was just an estimated and reserved guestimation on my behalf. They do have weaker rods but you might be able to get away with boostin up 180whp. More of my research has been for the Z6 of course.

At 160whp however, you'll be spankin most stock b series swaps by quite a bit.

stock b18c5 - 161-165 whp, 109-113 wtq
stock b18c1 - 140-144 whp, 103-107 wtq
stock b16a2 - 132-135 whp, 94 - 98 wtq
stock b18bX - 121-125 whp, 108-112 wtq
stock d16vtec - 105-110 whp, 97- 101 wtq

And sorry broskee, the other hf manifold may go on my DD that has a b7 as well. I have a spare IHI turbo off a ford probe that i'm hoping to throw on there. Tiny little thing but hoping it hits full boost in the 2k rpm range somewhere!!!

I ♥ my Honda
'94 Del Sol Si
'89 Civic 4dr LX

Team Sol International Member #1654
International Sol of the Month April 2007
07-22-2011 11:28 AM